3.09.2008

Signs of Spring











It was such a nice day today and even though there was still a little bit of snow in the back of the yard, Boston was excited to get out and take his first swings of the season. For the last couple of weeks, ever since he started seeing a little bit of the grass, he has been asking me to go out and play baseball with him. He has been telling me that spring starts whenever the snow is all gone and since all the snow in the front yard was gone, that counts as spring time... I didn't argue. He would hit six balls off his tee and after the sixth ball he would run around the bases. After running the bases he would get a stick and write his "score" (how many out of the six he hit to the fence) in the snow, calling it his "scoreboard". After an hour and a half of shagging his hits, I talked him into taking a break until tomorrow. He told me we could break until tomorrow if he could ride his bike. He thinks everything is negotiable. I caved and got his bike down for him. He shed his training wheels at the end of last year and it took a little bit for him to get used to it again. He kept turning into the grass and was having trouble riding in a straight line. I asked him if he wanted to go in and try some more tomorrow and he said, "I'm never giving up, Dad. Never give up." Something else I couldn't argue with. Not long after that, he got it, he was riding up and down the street all by himself. He was also going from the street to the sidewalk through the big dipped gutters. After another hour of bike riding, the sun started going down and we decided to go in. While walking up the driveway, he said, "I didn't let you down Dad, I never gave up." Even writing this now, it chokes me up. He's a special kid and I love him more than anything.




















1 comment:

Jen & Johnny said...

Fun pix of him hitting!! We will have to get together again soon!! Hailey keeps asking when we are going to see Boston again!!